"For much of the state of Maine, the environment is the economy"
* Died 2015 June 2.
|Jerry Havens, Ph.D., Distinguished Professor of Chemical Engineering and Director of the Chemical Hazards Research Center, University of Arkansas
Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (magazine of global security news & analysis)
Presentation by Diane Mitchell, Ph.D., California Environmental Protection Agency, Air Resources Board (2001 Feb 1) Adobe Reader PDF document, (13 pages, 2.7 mb).
A Report by
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) & Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering (CSChE)
- Motion of the California Public Utilities Commission to Supplement the Record, and for a Hearing, including "Prepared Direct Testimony of Dr. Jerry Havens and Accompanying Exhibits," regarding Sound Energy Solution's proposed Long Beach LNG facility 2005 Oct 10l
- Latest Developments in Rapid-Phase-Transition Modeling
- Richard Clark's Report for Rhode Island
- Sandia National Laboratories Risk Analysis of a Large LNG Spill
- Public Utilities Fortnightly article on LNG
- Exclusion-Zone Documentation
- Public Safety Issues at the Proposed Pleasant Point LNG Terminal by James Fay
- Mobile Register story on LNG safety: Opinions of independent scientists
- Qualitative Risk Assessment for an LNG Refueling Station and Review of Relevant Safety Issues (Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory, Alternate Fuels Program, Lockheed Martin Idaho Technologies)
- Assessment of Potential Risk Associated with Location of LNG Receiving Terminal Adjacent to Bajamar and Feasible Alternative Locations
- Properties of LNG LNG Workshop, 2002 Feb 12
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Infrastructure Security: Background and Issues for Congress 2003 Sep 9
- LNG Carrier Holding Tank Cracking Detected 1998
American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) & Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering (CSChE)
2010 Jul 20 News Release — "U.S. and Canadian Engineers Explore Safe Siting of Liquid Natural Gas Terminals" (PDF; 139 KB)
2009 Aug 24–26 Report — "Answering Safe Siting Questions for Liquid Natural Gas Import Terminals" (PDF; 117 KB)
Supplement to the record and request for a FERC hearing; includes safety testimony from Dr. Jerry Havens (2005 Oct 4) Adobe Reader PDF document, ( 88 pages, 1.7 mb).
LNG Facilities in Urban Areas: A security Risk Management Analysis for Attorney General Patrick Lynch, Rhode Island, by Principal Investigator Richard A. Clarke, Good Harbor Consulting, LLC (2005 May) Adobe Reader PDF document (3.4 mb)
[NOTE: As of 2005 Oct 20, the Rhode Island website is scheduled for redesign, which may affect the location of the above document. The following link is an alternate location on the Save Passamaquoddy Bay website.]
Alternate Link Adobe Reader PDF document (3.4 mb)
"Breach and Safety Analysis of Spills Over Water from Large Liquefied Natural Gas Carriers" (2008 May) Adobe Reader PDF document (388 KB)
Alternate link Adobe Reader PDF document (388 KB)
"Guidance on Risk Analysis and Safety Implications of a Large Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Spill Over Water" (2004 December 21) Adobe Reader PDF document (1.6 mb)
Alternate link Adobe Reader PDF document (1.6 MB)
"Based on this review and further analysis, the report provides guidance on the appropriateness of models, assumptions and risk management to ensure the safety of human health and property relative to a potential LNG cargo spill over water." Office of Fossil Energy, US Department of Energy
LNG Rising (2004 April, by Public Utilities Fortnightly) Adobe Reader PDF document
"We’ve seen hydrocarbon incidents happen before. These are extremely volatile substances, and if they are not treated safely you have the potential for a tremendous explosion that could have far-reaching, third-party effects. That is the nature of the beast." Tony Mayer, managing director, Marsh USA Inc.
by MIT Professor Emeritus James Fay
Thermal radiation danger zones for a tanker spill at four different locations (page 6). Thermal radiation and flammable vapor danger zones for spills under different scenarios listed in report (page 5).
"Pleasant Point Report" Adobe Reader PDF document
Opinions of independent scientists
- Jerry Havens
- federally-funded LNG researcher.
- James Fay, LNG Safety Expert and Professor Emeritus at MIT
- LNG work is cited in Congressional reports;
- work is the basis for many scientific predictions related to LNG.
"LNG Fire Impacts" Adobe Reader PDF document
- Produced for the US Department of Energy by...
- Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory,
Alternate Fuels Program,
Lockheed Martin Idaho Technologies
"Qualitative Risk Assessment...." Adobe Reader PDF document (212 pages).
Prepared for Bajamar Real Estate Services, S.A. de C.V., Bajamar, El Sauzal, Baja California (30 June 2002) by...
Bill Powers, P.E.
San Diego, California
...A good overall view of LNG industrialization and its effect on tourism, including risks. It is applicable to the Quoddy Bay LLC - Pleasant Point Gleason Cove LNG proposal.
"Assessment of Potential Risk...." Adobe Reader PDF document (24 pages).
- U.S. Department of Energy
Assessing the risk: Modeling Catastrophic Failure
- "Properties of LNG" Adobe Reader PDF document (43 pages).
- Congressional Research Service
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Infrastructure Security: Background and Issues for Congress Adobe Reader PDF document (25 pages; 228.2 kb).
Widespread cracking occurred in the 9% nickle-steel sperical tanks of LNG/C Asake Maru and her sister vessel Norman Lady. This report describes the assessment, repair, and refurbishing process that took place in 1998. Note: According to the report, all later vessels have been built with aluminum tanks.
"Managing Innovation using the Norman Lady and Höegh Galleon as Case Studies" Adobe Reader PDF document (24 pages); alternative URL: Tanker Cracking Report
- Principle Authors:
- Richard B. Kuprewicz, President Accufacts Inc.
- Clifford A. Goudey, Outreach Coordinator MIT Sea Grant College Program
- Carl M. Weimer, Executive Director Pipeline Safety Trust
Public Safety and FERC's LNG Spin: What Citizens Aren't Being Told (2005 May 14) (PDF; 230 KB).
Keeping America’s Pipelines Safe and Secure: Key Issues for Congress (PDF; 231 KB; 2012 Feb 15)